You want to apply for cosmetology school, but the process seems a little bit confusing at first glance. Where to start? We can guide you through the entire process to make applying for beauty school a breeze. Without wasting any more time thinking about how to apply, follow this process of applying to a beauty school.
Perform Your Search
You cannot apply for beauty school if you do not even know which cosmetology school to go to. To find a reputable school, do a quick Google search, entering the phrase, “beauty school near me.”
When you search for a beauty school, you should have a list of potential schools you can go to before you. You need to sift through the list of beauty schools, choosing a few based on location, convenience, courses offered, and other factors. Once you have selected a beauty school you want to apply to, you need to begin gathering your documents.
Put All the Required Documents in One Place
Most beauty schools in the United States require a high school diploma or a GED to enroll. If you have neither a high school diploma nor a GED, you need to perform research to find out if your state requires you to obtain one before enrolling.
For instance, the state of Illinois does not require a person to have a high school diploma or GED to apply. However, you will need to take a test to get into beauty school in states where they do not require you to have a diploma. We strongly recommend that you consider obtaining a high school diploma or GED even if your state does not require you to have one, either before or after you apply to a cosmetology school.
Besides this document, you will also need to provide the beauty school with a few additional documents such as your driver’s license, financial aid forms, letter of recommendation, and if you have not turned 18 yet, you will need to provide the school with a consent form signed by your parents or guardian giving you permission to enroll. Once you have applied to beauty school, you need to familiarize yourself with the basic curriculum.
The Type of Classes Offered at a Cosmetology School
Beauty school will offer classes in the following areas:
- General Cosmetology! (patient ethics, personal grooming, physiology and human anatomy, hygiene and sanitation, and basic and advanced tools and equipment)
- Hair Care, Cutting, and Styling! (different types of haircuts, proper hair and scalp care, the proper way to shampoo and condition, hair coloring, and basic hair care tips)
- Nail Care! (infection control practices, nail diseases and disorders, the proper way to manicure and pedicure, acrylic tips and forms application, and nail repair and polish techniques)
- Skin Care! (history of skin care, facial types, hair removal methods, and skin cleansing techniques)
- Makeup! (color theory, makeup tools, and makeup application techniques)
- Salon Management! (strategies to open own beauty salon)
If you have any questions or concerns, you can always contact us. Once you are confident that this is the beauty school you want to go to, apply for cosmetology school. You can also find out more information about us on Facebook.com.